Paid Sick-Leave Rights In Phoenix
Arizona has some of the most robust paid sick-leave laws in the nation. Employees accrue paid sick leave, and the law also prohibits employer retaliation against employees who exercise their paid sick-time rights.
With offices in Scottsdale, Tempe, and Tucson, the employment law attorneys of Weiler Law PLLC are committed to protecting the sick-leave rights of employees throughout Arizona. If you believe your employer has denied your right to paid sick leave or retaliated against you for taking paid time off, contact our law firm today to arrange a confidential consultation. We can help.
Your Rights as an Employee
Nearly every employee in Arizona is entitled to accrued paid sick time. Here are some key points for employees to understand:
- You can accrue a minimum of one hour of paid sick leave for every 30 hours worked.
- If you work for an employer with fewer than 15 employees, you can accrue at least 24 hours of paid sick leave per year.
- If you work for an employer with 15 or more employees, you can accrue at least 40 hours of paid sick leave per year.
- The paid sick-time law applies to full-time, part-time, seasonal and temporary employees.
- Earned paid sick time can be carried over to the following year, although the amount of paid sick leave you can take in a single year is limited to 40 hours.
- Alternatively, your employer may pay you at the end of the year for any unused sick time that you have earned.
- Your paid sick time can be used for reasons other than illness. For example, you can take paid sick leave for regular medical appointments or for counseling.
- If another employer buys your employer’s company and you remain an employee there, you are still entitled to all paid sick time that you accrued while working for the previous employer.
- If there is a break in your employment but you are rehired by the same employer within nine months, any previously accrued paid sick time that you haven’t used must be reinstated.
Weiler Law PLLC also advises employers to help them comply with state and federal employment laws.
If you have questions or concerns about paid sick leave or other wage and hour issues in Arizona, contact Weiler Law PLLC to set up a consultation. We can be reached via email or by phone at (480) 418-7878. Our law firm fights to protect the rights of workers in the Phoenix area and throughout the state.
"If I ever have an employment law dispute like retaliation, I will contact them again."Kevin W.
"Everyone who worked with James pertaining to my case was AMAZING as well."Saquitta H.
We've Changed Our Name!Read More
Whistleblower Protections for NursesRead More
Nurse-to-Patient Ratio in ArizonaRead More
What Are Arizona’s Time Off for Voting Laws?Read More
How Do I Collect Unemployment Benefits in Arizona?Read More
Examples of Employment Religious DiscriminationRead More
Client Prevails in Race Discrimination and Retaliation LawsuitRead More
What Is Age Discrimination?Read More
Personalized.We understand that each of our client's cases is unique and make sure to tailor our services to meet their individual goals.
Efficient.We aim to resolve our clients' legal disputes in an efficient and effective manner by minimizing cost and time as much as possible.
Results Oriented.We are determined to fight for your case and continue to uphold our track record of success.
Over 14 years of litigation experience.